Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Just A Little Update

Its been awhile since I posted here so here's a small update.

With my husbands blessing we are back to homeschooling. He dictated some guidelines and conditions and we have been sticking to them. The kids are learning although sometimes it seems like a slow process.

The line-up this year is great. My oldest expressed that he was bored with American history and quite frankly I was too, so we have moved into Ancient History. The curriculum I chose is from Veritas Press, its different from what I am used to, very few worksheets, mostly reading and reciting back. It starts with creation and moves through the Bible ending with the fall of Egypt to Rome. I am very excited and I have several supplemental books as well as documentaries on Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu. It looks like it will be lots of fun. We also changed up our science and went back to anatomy, which I already had from SonLight a few years ago. Jordan is a little older so he understands it better. I have been incorporating Conor my almost 6 year old into these lessons as well. For math we stuck with Bob Jones. I also discovered that Netflix has The Magic School Bus for a science supplement and so far the kids love it. Emma is very eager to learn and is always right there when we are reading or watching something.

We start off our days with a Bible lesson. Right now we are learning character traits, today's was arguing. It was neat to read about Joseph and his brothers and how they sold him. We also got off talking about Moses again which led to Youtube and clips from The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston. We then started talking about the other movies hes been in which led to Ben-Hur. We watched a few clips there too, including my favorites: the chariot race, ramming speed and the scene where Jesus gives him water in the desert. I found that I can buy Ben-Hur on Amazon Prime for $2, so I'm thinking that will be something to do soon. These kinds of lessons and discussions are the things I live for. After Bible lesson its time to start school. We generally get done around noon or 1 p.m. Then its chores and free time.

The past few weeks have been bumpy and Ive had days where I literally want to give up and send them back to public school. But then I think about days like today where we were able to talk about and see something so cool. Its times like this that make the days worth continuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment