Monday, October 8, 2012

First 6 weeks Down



We finished the first six weeks about a month ago but Im just now taking the time to sit down and talk about it.

We started school in mid-July. I had everything ready. I had plans to start Conor on pre-school but we havent progressed very far. I can get to that more in a bit. We started out the school year pretty strong. We had a few set backs and have taken less field trips than I would have liked but all in all the first 6 weeks were good. I use a free homeschool tracking system that lets me grade his work and track it too. Jordan did good for the first 6 weeks. Averaging A's and B's. I know a lot of homeschool families dont use grades for various reasons. I like to use them because it gives me a clear vision of how hes progressing. If hes passing the tests I feel like hes "getting it."

As far as Conor goes we started out okay but he slowly lost interest in what we were doing. About a month after we started school I started a babysitting job. The boy that Im watching during the day is 3 1/2. He is really not interested in school so Ive just been letting Conor and him play. For now that is working. I have some hooked on phonics stuff and some websites I plan on using in the next few months for him.

My husband and I had a long discussion about whether or not I should be homeschooling the kids into highschool. He thinks that I wont be able to do it because I dont know high level math and science. But I am trying to get into a local homeschool group to have help in this department. I truly believe this is what I am supposed to be doing. Hes also concerned about them having a childhood. I told him that compared to most homeschooled children my kids get a lot more than others. I try to make a point to get out as often as I can. Winter will be a little challenging because of the weather but I still want to get out and do things. Thats why I want to join the group. They have all kinds of activities and parties and such. All ages and lots of fun. I dont want my kids stuck in the house or only in the backyard. Theres a whole world out there I want to explore it.

Well thats the first 6 weeks. Ill try to get the next 6 weeks down as soon as we get done. That should be around the first of November or so.

1 comment:

  1. If you need a math tutor, you should ask Rebecca. She would love to help Jordan and one on one would be good. If you don't want to do that I think the group is a good idea. I know they get out a lot but I would like to see them have friends their own age. You are doing a great job and it will all be okay.

    ReplyDelete